Location: East Side Library, 2559 Hubbell Ave, 50317
Position Type: Hourly - Up to 19 hours/week.
Under the direction of a supervisor, sorts and shelves library materials, assists at the circulation desk, and performs related work as required.
Essential Job Functions
- Sorts, shelves, and files books and other library materials.
- Charges and discharges materials.
- Collects fines and fees.
- Retrieves, reshelves, and shifts library materials from various locations within the library.
- Operates a variety of library equipment.
- Performs light janitorial duties.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Skill in operating various types of office equipment, such as computer, copier, calculator, cash register, and telephone system.
- Ability to interpret and apply library policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate with staff and patrons in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to spell, use correct grammar, and make simple mathematical calculations.
- Ability to alphabetize and file using the Dewey Decimal Classification.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service both in person and on the telephone.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively.
- Sufficient vision to be able to produce and review a wide variety of reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to access relevant library materials and operate a keyboard.
- Sufficient mobility to be able to transport materials and equipment.
- Sufficient mobility to stoop and reach well enough to perform circulation procedures and to shelve and retrieve materials.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. on a frequent basis.
The East Side Library is open Monday and Tuesday - 10am-8pm, Thursday and Friday - 10am-6pm, and Satudurday 10am-5pm. East Side is closed on Wednesdays.
We are looking for someone who is detail-oriented, dependable, a self-starter, has good customer service skills, and enjoys books/media and interacting with public.
To apply, print out the application form below and take it to Carrie Anderson at the East Side Library, 2559 Hubbell Ave, 50317. Please contact Carrie Anderson at 248-6252 with questions.
Contact Human Resources
The Des Moines Public Library welcomes your questions about employment opportunities.
Linda Roe | Deputy Director
1000 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 283.4102