Historic Tour #4 - 2nd and Walnut

arc_tour010

This block between 2nd and 3rd Streets was the mercantile center of Des Moines in the 1850's through the 1870's.  Kuhn Brothers Men's Clothing and Jacob's Millinery (later Wolf's) was here; Julius Mandelbaum was a partner in this firm and in the 1920's he merged with Younkers. In the mid 1870's business activity shifted to Walnut Street.   In this time, Harbach's furniture store was located on Second Street.  Furniture manufacturers of the 19th century also served the community as undertakers because they were the only ones with the facilities to construct coffins.  In fact, Lots company, an early Des Moines furniture store and coffin maker solemnly announced in their ad, "undertaking performed on short notice."  Harbach Furniture claimed "one rested in their furniture from the cradle to the grave." arc_tour013

Building was once Hierb's Saloon, no longer standing.

On the southwest corner of Second and Walnut was the site of Joseph Hierb's Saloon.  Hierb and his brother also owned the first brewery in Des Moines at 7th and Center and piled their used mash close to the brewery where the local pigs regularly had a fine feast and then had trouble finding their way home until the city council put a stop to this practice.

Excerpt from: Hunter, Dan.  Des Moines: Confluence of People and Resources.  1982:  Public Library of Des Moines. Content also from the Des Moines Architectural and Historical Tour.
1