Senior Librarian – Customer Services
Department: Customer Service
Location: Central - Travel required between buildings.
Position Type: Full-time
Under the direction of a supervising librarian, the senior librarian is responsible for assisting in managing, planning and administering the work of a library department, trains and models excellent customer service to patrons of all ages and demonstrates proficiency in current and emerging library technology.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages the department and facility in coordination with and in the absence of the supervising librarian
- Assists in the managing, planning, and administering of work in a library department
- Assists the supervising librarian in implementing library system strategic plan objectives
- Resolves complicated customer interactions
- Models the highest standard of customer service and helps ensure that library staff meet customer service expectations
- Understands library circulation systems, online resources and library procedures and policies
- Answers information, readers’ advisory, and patron questions
- Advocates for the library and acts as a liaison with community groups and programs
- Coordinates the creation and revision of work schedules and timesheets
- Hires, trains, motivates, coaches, evaluates and supervises staff and assigns work tasks
- Manages interactions with customers with tact and diplomacy
- Coordinates collection development for professional staff
- Pursues continuing education to remain current in developments for public library services and prepares for potential advancement in library management.
- Additional duties as assigned
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively.
- Sufficient vision to be able to produce and review a wide variety of reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to access relevant library materials and operate a keyboard.
- Sufficient mobility to be able to transport materials and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of library policies, procedures, strategic planning, and disciplinary process
- Knowledge of a broad range of reference and readers’ advisory materials and resources
- Knowledge of the library’s collection development and selection policies
- Skill in using and troubleshooting current and emerging library technology and automated systems
- Skill in both long and short range planning
- Skill in identifying and enhancing individual strengths of staff members
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service through the use of excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to hire, train, and evaluate staff
- Ability to foster a culture of teamwork among the staff
- Ability to organize and analyze data with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to plan effectively, prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to move between buildings.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree from an accredited graduate school of library science; three years of successful professional library experience in a public service capacity.
Send resume, transcripts (if not already on file) and letter of application to Deputy Director Linda L. Roe (firstname.lastname@example.org) 1000 Grand Ave. Des Moines, Iowa 50309. Applications must be received by 5:00 pm, May 18, 2016.
Contact Human Resources
The Des Moines Public Library welcomes your questions about employment opportunities.
Linda Roe | Deputy Director
1000 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 283.4102