Librarian – Information Services (half-time)
This is a half-time position of 20 hours a week. Under the direction of a library manager participates in collection development by selecting materials in accordance with professional library practice and DMPL Selection Policy. Demonstrates proficiency in current and emerging library technology. Provides excellent reference and readers’ advisory service for all customers. Provides direction or leadership to library assistants, clerks, library aides and volunteers. Does related work as required. This position requires regular day, evening and weekend hours.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides excellent customer service to all customers.
- Answers reference, research, and readers' advisory questions and prepares bibliographies.
- Develops and provides library programs for adults including book discussions or book talks, information literacy instruction, library tours and other programs as community needs dictate.
- Trains patrons in use of online catalog, online resources, and library technology.
- Manages interactions with customers with tact and diplomacy.
- Participates in and understands collection development and its budgets.
- Directs and participates in the planning and organizing of work/projects within the department.
- Provides direction, training, and supervision to support staff and volunteers.
- Plans and maintains displays, exhibits, and bulletin boards.
- Reads professional literature and participates in continuing education to keep informed of developing library practices and issues.
- Actively participates as a member/leader of committees and other assigned branch teams.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively and present programs.
- Sufficient vision to be able to produce and review a wide variety of reports and related materials in both electronic and print formats.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to access relevant library materials and operate a keyboard.
- Sufficient mobility to be able to transport materials and equipment and retrieve items from the shelves.
- Must be able to travel between buildings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of a broad range of reference and readers' advisory materials and resources.
- Knowledge of literature and materials, social media and technological trends.
- Skill in using current and emerging library technology and automated systems.
- Skill in selecting appropriate materials for patrons and preparing bibliographies.
- Skill in training customers to use library resources.
- Ability to provide outstanding internal and external customer service through the use of excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to instruct, train, and supervise support staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to keep records, files, compile reports, and analyze statistics.
- Ability to meet assigned project deadlines.
- Ability to serve the public in a positive manner.
- Ability to plan and present library programs for the public.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced public service environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited graduate school of library and information science.
- Successful experience in public library reference and readers’ advisory.
- Excellent customer service skills with all ages is required.
Send resume, transcripts and letter of application to Deputy Director Linda L. Roe 1000 Grand Ave. Des Moines, Iowa 50309.
Applications from candidates must be received by 5:00 pm, Monday, December 22nd, 2014
Current employees who have their transcript and resume on file do not need to resubmit those two items at this time. Current employees must contact Linda L. Roe via email or hard copy of interest in this position before the closing date and time.
Contact Human Resources
The Des Moines Public Library welcomes your questionsabout employment opportunities.
Linda Roe | Deputy Director
1000 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 283.4102