Iowa Author Honoree John Sandford
Tuesday, October 1, 2019 - Iowa Events Center
The New York Times best-selling author of 52 books and a Pulitzer Prize winner for journalism is the 2019 Iowa Author Award winner. He will be in conversation with Courtney Crowder, the Iowa columnist for The Des Moines Register on Oct. 1, 2019.
The first 350 people to register for the dinner will receive Sandford's October 1, 2019, release of Bloody Genius, about a college culture war turned deadly thriller.
About John Sandford
- John Sandford was born John Roswell Camp in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He graduated from Washington High School.
- He is a graduate of the University of Iowa with a BA in American Studies and MA in journalism.
- He served two years in the U.S. Army in Korea with the 4th U.S. Army Missile Command as Army Reporter.
- He took writing courses at the Iowa Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa.
- He wrote articles for The Daily Iowan.
- He won the Pulitzer Prize in 1986 for a series of stories on the Midwest farm crisis.
- He was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in 1980 for a series of stories on Native American culture.
2019 Friend of Literacy
- The Polk County Board of Supervisors will be recognized as the 2019 Friend of Literacy. We honor them for their support of literacy and education.
About the Iowa Author Awards Dinner
- Tuesday, October 1, 2019
- 5:30-6:30 PM: Reception and silent auction
- 6:30-9:00 PM: Dinner and program
- Tickets: $200. Includes dinner, program, and copy of Sandford's new book Bloody Genius. Tickets available.
- Sponsorships available (sponsorship form)
- Live and silent auctions
- Proceeds help support the library's many programs, services, and technology upgrades
Iowa Author Awards Sponsors
- Publisher's Prize Sponsor: The Des Moines Register, Part of the USA Today Network
- Heritage Sponsors: Chuck Rohm, Walt Smith Family Foundation
- Bestseller Sponsors: Anonymous, Charlotte and Fred Hubbell, Principal, Kay and Bob Riley, Deborah and Douglas West
Contact the DMPL Foundation at 515-412-0180 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.