Library AideLocation: Central Library Position Type: Hourly - Up to 19 hours/week. Includes daytime, evening, and weekend hours. Salary: $10.51/hr
Essential Job Functions
- Checks in, sorts, shelves and files all library materials.
- Empties book drops.
- Processes daily branch delivery.
- Shelves holds.
- Shelf reads and shifts library collections as necessary.
- Prints lists and searches for items including patron requests, expired, trace, lost, etc.
- Performs opening, closing and cleanup procedures.
- Operates a variety of library equipment.
- Helps with library projects as assigned.
- Attends meetings as needed.
- Participates in training sessions as needed.
- Performs light janitorial duties.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and ability to apply and adhere to general library policies and procedures.
- Skill in operating various types of library equipment.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with library staff and the public, and to do so in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to spell, use correct grammar, and make simple mathematical calculations.
- Ability to file library materials alphabetically and numerically using the Dewey Decimal Classification.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively.
- Sufficient vision to produce and review a wide variety of reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to access relevant library materials and operate a computer.
- Sufficient mobility to be able to push and pull loaded book carts; bend, reach and kneel; and utilize a step stool.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds on frequent basis.
Education and Experience
- Must be 16 years of age.
- Completed middle school.
Applicants must complete the Job Application Form. Please send a completed Des Moines Public Library Application for Employment to Brooke Santillan via email at BASantillan@dmpl.org or in-person at the Central Library. All applications, must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 26, 2018
The Central Library is open Monday through Wednesday, 9am-8pm; Thursday and Friday, 9am-6pm, and Sunday 1pm-5pm (September - May). Central is closed on Saturdays.
The Des Moines Public Library is the recognized leader in expanding the universe of opportunities for imagination, innovation and lifelong learning benefiting its diverse community.
We are looking for library aides who are dependable, friendly, punctual, and who can work well with library staff and the public. This is not a temporary position — we are looking for employees who are dedicated to the library and can commit to the position long-term.
Part-time Library Aides are hired at each of our six locations and applications are kept on file in each building. You are welcome to print out the application form below and take it to the Central Library or any of the five branches.
Contact Human Resources
The Des Moines Public Library welcomes your questions about employment opportunities.
Linda Roe | Deputy Director
1000 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 283.4102