Professional SubstituteDepartment: Information Services Location: All Travel Required: Between buildings Position Type: Part-Time Salary: $23.28 per hour
Under general direction, provides information and readers' advisory services in a variety of library locations as needed. Does related professional and clerical work as required. Must have own transportation. Hours vary. Must be available for weekday daytime hours, evening and weekend hours.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides exemplary customer service to library patrons.
- Answers information and readers' advisory questions.
- Trains patrons in use of online catalog and various databases.
- Checks out and receives library materials.
- Manages interactions with customers with tact and diplomacy.
- Works in a variety of locations on an on-call schedule.
- Plans and presents library programs for all ages.
- Presents book talks and library tours.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively.
- Sufficient vision to be able to produce and review a wide variety of reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to access relevant library materials and operate a keyboard.
- Sufficient mobility to be able to transport materials and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of a broad range of reference and readers' advisory materials.
- Knowledge of general clerical methods and procedures.
- Skill in using current library technology and automated systems.
- Skill in selecting appropriate materials for patrons of all ages.
- Skill in interpreting library resources and services to the public.
- Ability to keep records and files and compile reports.
- Ability to assist in instructing and training support staff.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of work environments and changing schedules.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with others.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service.
- Ability to stoop and reach well enough to retrieve materials from the shelves.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college. Successful customer service experience in public library work or related field is desired. Master’s degree in Library Science preferred.
Send resume, letter of application, and copy of college transcripts (if not on file) by August 31, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. to: Linda L. Roe, Deputy Director Des Moines Public Library 1000 Grand Avenue Des Moines, IA 50309 Fax: 515-237-1654 Email: email@example.com
Part-time Library Aides are hired at each of our six locations and applications are kept on file in each building. You are welcome to print out the application form below and take it to the Central Library or any of the five branches.
Contact Human Resources
The Des Moines Public Library welcomes your questions about employment opportunities.
Linda Roe | Deputy Director
1000 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 283.4102