The New York Times best-selling author of 52 books and a Pulitzer Prize winner for journalism was the 2019 Iowa Author Award winner. Sandford spoke in conversation with Courtney Crowder, the Iowa columnist for The Des Moines Register on Oct. 1, 2019.
About John Sanford
- John Sandford was born John Roswell Camp in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He graduated from Washington High School.
- He is a graduate of the University of Iowa with a BA in American Studies and MA in journalism.
- He served two years in the U.S. Army in Korea with the 4th U.S. Army Missile Command as Army Reporter.
- He took writing courses at the Iowa Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa.
- He wrote articles for The Daily Iowan.
- He won the Pulitzer Prize in 1986 for a series of stories on the Midwest farm crisis.
- He was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in 1980 for a series of stories on Native American culture.