Beginning Monday, Nov. 16, the Des Moines Public Library is eliminating overdue fines on all children and teen materials and will stop collecting previously accrued overdue fines on those items.
As a result, nearly 2,000 customers with library cards that were blocked due to unpaid fines on children and teen materials will be able to use the library again after those fines are forgiven. (Some customers may need to reactivate their cards first.)
“This decision provides many Des Moines families with new opportunities and ensures that the library continues to be a welcoming place to each and every member of our community,” says Susan A. Woody, Des Moines Public Library Director. “We know that removing barriers to service is important, especially now, and especially for our youngest readers, and this is a crucial step in doing so.”
By clearing these fines, the Des Moines Public Library hopes to welcome back families who stopped checking out books and using library services due to an inability to pay overdue fines on materials checked out for children and teens.
When all locations of the Des Moines Public Library first closed in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 25-cent daily overdue fine on all materials was temporarily suspended. While overdue fines on children and teen materials will now be eliminated, overdue fines on adult books will once again begin accruing beginning Monday, Nov. 16 — but at a reduced rate of 10 cents per day.
Additional details about our updated fine and fee policies:
- The library is reinstating the $1 fee to borrow non-children’s DVDs that was temporarily suspended. (Children’s DVDs are free.)
- Overdue fines for non-children’s DVDs will remain 50 cents per day.
- DVDs will once again be checked out for one-week periods, but DVD series/sets will be checked out for three weeks.
- Customers will still be charged for all lost and damaged materials – including children and teen materials that are lost and/or damaged.
If you think this change affects your library account, you can call us at (515) 283-4152.
FAQ - Library Fines and Fees
Beginning November 16, these are the Des Moines Public Library's fines and fees:
- Overdue fines
- Children and Teen Items - No overdue fine
- Adult Items - 10 cents per day past due for books, 50 cents for DVDs
- Checkout Fees
- Adult DVDs - $1 checkout fee
- All other items - No checkout fee
- Lost/Damaged Item Fees
- Lost item fees will remain.
- Items will be considered lost if they are not returned within 30 days of their due date.
- Notice will be given at least one week before an item is considered lost.
- Lost and damaged item fees range depending on the item.
All overdue fines on children and teen materials have bee cleared. All lost and damaged fees on children and teen materials have also been cleared from library accounts, but moving forward, cardholders will be responsible to pay all lost and damaged fees on all materials, including children and teen books, DVDs, and more.
If you have overdue materials on your account, the daily charges for each item will now be 10 cents per day. But any lost or damaged fees on your account will not be reduced.
Items will be considered lost if they are not returned within 30 days of their due date. Notice will be given at least one week before an item is considered lost.
Beginning November 17, 2020, all locations of the Des Moines Public Library will be closed for in-person browsing due to the COVID-19 pandemic. To pay fees online, log into your account clicking "My Account" at the top of the page. You can also pay by phone. If you have questions about overdue fines and lost item fees, please CONTACT US.