Reading with your child is one of the most important activities you can do with them. Reading aloud to your child will help them be ready for school. Children who are read to are more likely to want to read themselves, allowing them to jump right into reading when they start school.
- Let children see YOU reading!
- Looking at books and talking about the pictures will help your child learn to read.
- Use different voices for different characters. Let your child do the same.
- If your child is not enjoying the book, that’s OK. Stop reading the story and try another book or another time.
- Point out letters all around you – on signs, packages, trucks, and trains.
- Point out words on a page and match the word to the picture in the book.
- Attend a storytime at any of our six Des Moines Public Libraries.