Susan Orlean at the DSM Book Festival
Saturday, March 30, 4:00 PM, Capital Square
To kick off the 2019 season, AViD presents Susan Orlean at the DSM Book Festival. She is the author of the critically acclaimed 2018 best-seller, The Library Book, a love letter to libraries that doubles as a true crime exploration of the massive unsolved 1986 fire that damaged the Los Angeles Public Library. Reese Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine Book Club selected the book as its first 2019 read. Orlean’s 1998 nonfiction classic, The Orchid Thief, was adapted into the Academy Award-winning feature film, Adaptation, starring Meryl Streep as the author.
Susan Orlean's Books:
An investigation of the fire that devastated the Los Angeles Public Library in 1986 evolves into a page-turning history of the immense impact libraries and books have had throughout time. Profoundly moving and enlightening, and a clear call to readers to appreciate and support their libraries. For readers who enjoy high-quality narrative nonfiction.
The book describes the life and times of John Laroche, a plant smuggler and orchid thief, and the eccentric world of Florida's obsessed collectors of rare plants.
Chronicles the rise of the iconic German shepherd character while sharing the stories of the real WWI dog and the canine performer in the 1950s television show, and explores Rin Tin Tin's relevance in the military and popular culture.
Susan Orlean takes readers on a series of remarkable journeys in this witty, sophisticated, and far-flung travel book.
The author offers profiles of some of the colorful people she has encountered, from the first female Spanish matador to the African king who drives a New York City cab.
While walking to school, lugging a heavy backpack through New York City one morning, a disgruntled child questions why babies are so lazy, spending their days on useless activities such as napping and babbling rather than getting jobs.
- Event is free and open to the public
- 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday, March 30, Capital Square, 400 Locust St.
- Headlining author discussions: Nnedi Okorafor, Garth Stein, and Susan Orlean (Times for Okorafor and Stein TBA)
- Other events and activities include live music, local food vendors, specialty bar with wine and cocktails, kids book programming, book club discussion, and more
- Parking: Free and paid parking available in lots, meters and garages surrounding Capital Square complex
- Books by headlining authors will be available for purchase all day, courtesy of Beaverdale Books
- All headlining authors will sign books following their discussions
"Everybody Who Loves Books Should Check Out The Library Book" - The Washington Post
"Life on the Road with Susan Orlean" - The New York Times
"Susan Orlean: By the Book" - The New York Times
"Susan Orlean on the Facinating History and Surprisingly Bright Future of Libraries" - New York Magazine
"Who Started the 1986 Fire at the Los Angeles Library? Susan Orlean Investigates in Her New Book" - The Los Angeles Times