In order to provide for the general welfare of all persons using the library, and to provide for the general safety of children using the Des Moines Public Library, the following rules and regulations shall be made a matter of policy at the Des Moines Public Library.
- All children under ten years shall, at all times, be attended and adequately supervised by a responsible person, e.g. an adult or a mature adolescent at least 12 years old. A reasonable attempt will be made to locate the responsible party in the event a child is left unattended. If no responsible party is found, it may be necessary to notify the police.
- Children ten years and older may use the library unattended, subject to rules and regulations of the Des Moines Public Library concerning behavior, conduct and demeanor.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for their children's actions while the children are on library property. Staff members should inform the accompanying adult of problem behavior should the adult fail to notice or volunteer correction.
- The Des Moines Public Library assumes no responsibility for children left unattended on library premises.
- The library will call the Des Moines Police if a child under the age of 18 is left at the library without transportation after library closing hours. The parent or guardian of the child will be charged a fee of $1.00 per minute per child if a library staff member is required to stay after closing until a responsible party or the police arrive.
- Children under the age of 18 who are not accompanied by a parent or other responsible adult must be able to identify themselves by presenting a library card or photo ID if requested.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees, December 19, 2006.