We know you all love Libby, but there’s another eAudiobook service that offers titles you can’t find *anywhere* else. You may have heard of RBDigital before – fun fact, the RB stands for “Recorded Books” – but have you spent time looking at their library? It’s full of exclusive eAudiobooks from several popular authors. Some have their most recent books on RBDigital, while others have their entire catalog. Let’s take a look at what’s included.
Diana Gabaldon’s entire catalog, including her famed Outlander series, is available exclusively on RBDigital. Outlander is an eight-part series spanning several genres, including historical fiction, fantasy, romance, and adventure. It follows the life of World War II-era nurse Claire Randall, who accidentally travels through time 18th century Scotland and finds herself falling for a dashing Highland warrior named Jamie Fraser. Gabaldon has taken her time writing the series – the first eight books were published over the course of 23 years, and she has a ninth book in development right now.
The series has seen renewed fame in recent years thanks to its award-winning television series adaptation, which airs on STARZ in the United States. The fifth season concludes this weekend, and the show has already been renewed for a sixth season.
Perhaps the biggest name in romance history, you can find the eAudiobooks for Danielle Steel’s most recent releases exclusively on RBDigital. This includes books released in 2020, such as Silent Night, The Wedding Dress, and Daddy’s Girls. Steel is the fourth-best selling fiction author of all-time, with more than 800 million copies sold. She is constantly cranking out new material, usually publishing six or more books a year, so you will always have something new to listen to.
McCall Smith began his professional career as an attorney specializing in medical law before publishing his first novel at the age of 50. Since that time, he’s become one of the most popular writers in the world, famous for The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, the 44 Scotland Street series, and the Sunday Philosophy Club series, among his dozens of works. McCall Smith visited Des Moines as part of the library’s AViD series in 2008, where he wore a kilt and entertained more than 850 people. His eAudiobooks are available almost exclusively on RBDigital.
Perry is renowned as a historical fiction mystery author, known particularly for her Victorian-era series starring characters like Daniel, Charlotte, and Thomas Pitt, Hester Latterly, and William Monk. With more than 10 million copies sold over the past forty years, her novels are a great window to the past. Her entire eAudiobook collection is available on RBDigital.
Krueger sets many of his mystery novels in the northern woods of Minnesota, featuring a part-Irish, part-Ojibwe character named Cork O’Connor. The Cork O’Connor series has garnered Kruger two Anthony Awards, a prestigious award for mystery writers, as well as one Edgar Award, an acclaimed award presented annually by the Mystery Writers of America. Check out his Cork O’Connor series and his other eAudiobooks exclusively on RBDigital.
Here are some of our other favorite authors with several eAudiobooks on RBDigital:
- Christine Feehan
- C.J. Box
- Charlaine Harris
- Joanne Fluke
- Craig Johnson
- Amy Stewart
- Mary Balogh
- Kristan Higgins
- Laurie R. King
- Marion Zimmer Bradley
In addition to eAudiobooks, RBDigital offers free reading options and streaming video for Des Moines Public Library Cardholders. Other RBDigital services include:
- eMagazines - More than 100 eMagazines are available to check out for free. This includes everything from Better Homes & Gardens to Harper's Bazaar, The New Yorker to The New York Review of Books, and more.
- Acorn TV - Acorn TV brings world-class mysteries, dramas, and comedies from Britain and beyond. Check out hit shows like Doc Martin, Line of Duty, and A Place to Call Home.
- The Great Courses - The Great Courses are a series of video courses narrated and instructed by college professors and subject matter experts. It’s a great way to pursue lifelong learning and personal enrichment. Check out our Great Courses blog to learn more.
- IndieFlix - IndieFlix is a streaming movie service that offers access to pop culture favorites, box office hits, award-winning feature films, documentaries, and shorts.
- Qello - Qello Concerts by Stingray is the world’s largest collection of full-length concerts and music documentaries streamed on-demand to just about any digital device.
- Pongalo - Spanish language telenovelas and translated movies streamed on demand to all popular devices.
You can start using RBDigital by downloading the app onto your digital device or by going to our Stream & Download page. Residency restrictions apply - you must live in Des Moines or rural Polk County to use RBDigital as a Des Moines Public Library cardholder.
Last Modified October 01, 2020