Make a Difference at the DMPL
Looking for a great place to volunteer? The library may be just the place for you. Our volunteers are individuals who bring a variety of talents to our libraries.
- Assist library staff by shelving materials requested by our patrons. The quicker we get them on the shelf, the quicker our patrons can take them home!
- Support library book sales by helping staff sort and arrange items for sale.
- Organize information in a variety of ways. We occasionally need help with sorting, filing, and data entry.
- Help people practice their English skills at our “Conversations and Coffee” programs.
- Help library staff at special events, including Authors Visiting in Des Moines (AViD) live events. Volunteers greet and guide patrons to program areas, assist with the program, and help library staff before and after the program as needed.
- Give children and teens a smile when you assist staff with craft and activity programs.
- Inspire summer reading by helping children and teens register for the Summer Reading program
- Help plan displays, assist with virtual programs, and more!
- Support Youth Services Librarians with other duties as assigned.
The virtual teen volunteer program is for students 12-18. Please fill out the application and waiver completely. Have your parent or guardian sign the waiver, then submit both completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. To submit your form in person, please contact Alissa Cornick at (515) 283-4152 ext. 3 or visit the Central Library Youth desk during browsing hours. A volunteer leader will contact you.